Learn how Nylas pricing works in this comprehensive blog.
Tasia Potasinski | October 17, 2019
Pricing & Plans
How is Nylas priced?
Nylas is priced per connected account with a monthly platform fee. Connected accounts start at $0.99 per connected account with a committed-use package in our Starter plan. The platform fee varies by plan. Volume discounts are unlocked as you connect additional accounts or upgrade plans.
What is a connected account?
A connected account is a single email account that syncs to the Nylas platform.
What does the platform fee cover?
First, the platform fee covers the amount of data you sync through the Nylas platform. As part of our service, Nylas securely syncs data from your connected accounts to the private cloud (and back). This lowers the total cost of building and maintaining your own integrations, as you do not have to pay for your own cloud storage when you use Nylas.
Second, the platform fee covers your developer toolkit and analytics. With components like Nylas Scheduler, your developer toolkit gives you the tools you need to quickly build features in your product beyond the initial connection to providers via our universal APIs while analytics give you performance insights that help you improve your user’s experience.
Finally, the platform fee covers the customer support package that is included in your subscription.
What is the difference between your plans?
Nylas’ plans are defined by a few key criteria:
- The minimum (and maximum) number of connected accounts included in your plan.
- Monthly data sync limits: 1GB and 5GB per connected account per month on Starter and Essentials, respectively; unlimited data sync per connected account is provided to Professional subscribers and above.
- Developer toolkit: Basic toolkits are available for Starter subscribers, Full toolkits which included white labeling features for Essentials subscribers and above.
- Support packages: Basic support for Starter subscribers (i.e. email only, 1 support seat); Full support for Essentials and Professional (i.e. onboarding services, additional support seats, email + phone, enhanced SLAs); and Premium support for Enterprise and Custom subscribers (i.e. custom ob-boarding, 24/7 support, custom SLAs, dedicated Account Management).
- Tiered discounts: As you grow into larger plans, the number of discounts you receive increases, with lower costs per connected accounts and % discounts on your monthly platform fee.
Which plan is right for me?
This depends on the stage of your company, whether or not your product is still being built or if it’s in production, and the complexity of your use case.
- Starter is our entry-level plan and is best suited for applications with a low volume of connected accounts. Typically, early-stage start-ups and developers with products that are not yet in production subscribe to our Starter plan, as the number of connected accounts, the amount of data that needs to be synced, and support levels are quite low.
- Essentials is our plan for small to medium-sized businesses that have a full product in production but don’t yet have the number of users to necessitate a higher plan. The Essentials plan gives you 1000 connected accounts to start and allows up to 5GB per connected account per month. The Essentials plan also comes with our Full developer toolkit and Full support packages. Essentials subscribers receive an additional 14% discount on their connected accounts vs. Starter subscribers.
- Professional subscribers receive even more discounts on their connected accounts – an additional 18% off our Essentials pricing. This is the tier that unlocks unlimited data sync and as such is our most popular plan for mid-sized businesses with a moderate amount of users.
- Enterprise and Custom plans are for our larger customers that need to connect high volumes of users to the Nylas platform. The largest discounts are offered to these subscribers as well as the enterprise-level support plans that cover more complex use cases.
Why are we signing a contract when your website says No Contracts Required?
We do offer a no-contract option for our Starter plan. This is offered to developers that have exceeded their trial period and are not yet ready to subscribe to one of our committed-use packages.
However, we reserve benefits such as a maximum $0.99 per connected account price and basic support for customers that have subscribed to a committed-use Starter package. Subscribers that opt for a no-contract Starter package are subject to pay-as-you-go pricing. On average, your per connected account cost is 56% higher with pay-as-you-go plans, so in every case you will save money by subscribing to a committed-use plan.
We do not offer no-contract options for our Essentials plans and above.
What happens if I exceed the number of accounts that are in my contract?
We will not automatically remove accounts or throttle your usage in any way. We will simply charge you an additional monthly fee commensurate with your overage. This is part of the “pay-as-you-go” option we offer all subscribers.
You will always receive a better price for committed-use accounts vs. “pay-as-you-go.” If you plan to connect additional accounts we recommend you contact us first to get the best rates possible.
What happens if I disconnect accounts?
Your bill is calculated based on the amount of accounts that have been connected within any given month. If you disconnect accounts, any difference will be reflected on your next monthly billing cycle.
What happens if I exceed the data sync limit?
We will not automatically restrict the data you sync or throttle your usage in any way. However, if you exceed the data sync limit you may no longer qualify for the plan you are currently on. This is because your platform fees are partially calculated by the amount of data your users sync to the Nylas platform.
Data sync limits are primarily a consideration for Starter subscribers, as many of your user’s accounts will exceed the 1GB per account per month maximum due to the sheer amount of data that exists in their inboxes.
We recommend the Starter plan for applications that are not in production due to the limit on data sync. With 5GB per connected account per month, the Essentials plan is the best fit for most small to medium-sized businesses that have a full product in production, but may not have the number of users to necessitate a Professional plan or above.
Why do you have a data sync limit?
By introducing data sync limit on our Starter plan, we are able to provide a low-cost entry point for companies that do not yet have an application or feature in production, or who are just starting out and do not have a lot of users. If we removed this limitation, it would force us to raise prices on companies who may not yet be generating income from a product or feature. Ultimately, we want to support developers and customers at all stages to integrate communications data into their applications.
The 5GB per connected account per month limit for the Essentials plan was calculated based upon average data usage metrics amongst current Nylas subscribers that have less than 5000 connected accounts. We have not seen any issues arise for small-to-medium sized businesses that subscribe to our Essentials plan.
Larger companies and enterprise applications that are at-scale have unique needs. To best serve these customers, we provide them with unlimited data sync. Thus allows us to properly address their most demanding use cases.
What happens if I go over the maximum number of connected accounts for my package?
We will not automatically remove accounts or throttle your usage in any way. We will simply charge you an additional monthly fee commensurate with your overage.
You will always receive a better price for accepting the next tiered plan vs. incurring overages past the limit of your current plan. If you are getting close to your plan limit, contact us and we will get you on a plan that is better suited for your business (of course, with all the additional benefits that plan contains).
What is the minimum amount of accounts I can purchase?
Our Starter plan comes bundled with your first 100 accounts, which is our minimum package. Committed-use “Account Packs” in increments of 100 connected accounts are offered for Starter and Essentials subscribers. Committed-use packs of 1000 are offered for Professional and Enterprise subscribers.
If you are not ready to connect a minimum of 100 accounts, you can try Nylas for free for up to 30 days and connect 10 accounts. This is the perfect option for developers that are looking to quickly test our platform.
Is there a maximum amount of accounts I can connect?
No. You can connect unlimited accounts to the Nylas platform.
How can I monitor the number of accounts connected to my Nylas app?
You can easily see the number of connected accounts in your Nylas dashboard. Simply click into the Accounts tab to see your accounts and their respective statuses: Linked, Running, Partial, Stopped.
Customization of Plans
Do I have to purchase Account Packs or can I just pay-as-I-go?
You have the option of either purchasing Account Packs as part of a committed-use plan or paying as you go? The difference is in your savings. We offer steep discounts on committed-use accounts vs. “pay-as-you-go” accounts. On average a Nylas subscriber on a committed-use plan will save 56% on their connected account price vs. paying as you go.
Can I purchase extra support without subscribing to a higher tiered plan?
We do offer additional support packages for subscribers that feel they have purchased the appropriate amount of connected accounts. Contact us for more details.
Do you have a monthly subscription option?
We do offer a monthly subscription option for our Starter subscribers. All other Nylas plans provide you with tiered discounts for committing to annual contracts.
Do you offer additional discounts for multi-year subscriptions?
Yes, we do. Contact us for more details.
Do you offer additional discounts for up-front payment?
Yes, we do. Contact us for more details.
Can I just purchase a subscription to just one API (ex. email or calendar)?
Your subscription covers the full Nylas platform. Our technology contains a suite of universal APIs at its core but it is not a simple API layer, due to the inclusion of features such as analytics, developer toolkit, and the Nylas data sync engine.
Simply put, unbundling our technology would diminish its power and increase complexity with our plans, which would negatively impact our ability to provide developers with the best experience and prices possible. Due to this, we do not offer a la carte options in our plans.
Why aren’t prices listed on the website?
While we have pre-defined plans listed on our website, these are only starting points. Our pricing has been designed to be flexible so we can fully address your unique needs. When generating a quote for you, our solutions team will review the following options and offer both base price and discount plans based upon the following criteria:
- The plan level you select.
- The number of accounts you wish to connect to the Nylas platform.
- The payment plan option that best suits your business (e.g. committed-use vs. pay-as-you-go).
- Any additional support and implementation assistance requirements (available as an add-on to any plan that is Essentials or above).
- The subscription term length you select (monthly, annual, or multi-annual).
- Your preferred billing cycle (monthly, quarterly, annually).
With so many variables to consider, it’s not possible to list a single price that would be an accurate representation of your final plan. Given that, the easiest way to get a quote fast is to contact us so we can make sure you get the right plan at the best price available.