The Best API for Meeting Scheduling Software
Find the best API-based meeting scheduling software to boost user experience. Connect to any calendar provider and maximize your users’ productivity.
Andrew Slate | September 28, 2021
Scheduling meetings is a massive productivity killer for your users. Sales reps spend an hour a day scheduling product demos and meetings with prospects. And it can take recruiting coordinators up to two hours to schedule a single interview.
Whether you’re building software for real estate professionals, healthcare administrators, financial analysts, or any other profession, your end-users stand to benefit tremendously from meeting scheduling functionality that cuts out manual work and removes complexity from their day-to-day.
Want a PDF of this article?
Share it with a friend or save it for later reading.
We'll send the PDF straight to your inbox!
Building meeting scheduling software into your app should be a top priority to help your users schedule meetings more efficiently and refocus their efforts on more strategic work. But not all meeting scheduling software is created equal—to ensure you maximize engagement and retention, you’ll need robust and highly customizable features that make scheduling seamless. You’ll also need to consider the tradeoffs between building meeting scheduling yourself versus integrating with an API.
In this post, we’ll help you find the right API-based meeting scheduling software for your needs to maximize ROI and drive user retention.
The Challenges of Finding the Right Meeting Scheduling Software
As you weigh the pros and cons of building meeting scheduling software yourself, you should evaluate what resources you will need to build a new solution, how long it will take to deploy an initial version, and the costs associated with maintaining the solution over time. Additionally, here are just a few of the technical challenges to consider when building your own meeting scheduling software:
- Calendar Connectivity – Ensuring secure authentication for real-time, bi-directional sync for every calendar provider in the world; automatically identifying primary calendars for booking, and incorporating different defaults for each provider.
- Recurring Events – Complex protocols differ from provider to provider; navigating one-off changes and timezone transitions.
- Availability Logic – Verifying that pre-fetching and caching availability of participants is resilient to downtime and latency spikes while using provider webhooks and event streams to keep caches up-to-date.
- Time Zone Support – Deducting time zone information given a complex array of data from the provider and normalizing for time zones across hemispheres.
- Event Reminders – Accounting for the many common complexities of scheduling; everything from language consistency to ensuring the guest is notified if the meeting has been canceled even if they haven’t already declined.
- Building Scheduling UI – Identifying all the edge cases your users may run into and making sure each workflow is intuitively designed.
- Race Conditions – Implementing instant synchronization so that users aren’t double-booked when two people try to book the same slot simultaneously. At the same time, making sure that the solution doesn’t impact sync speed.
Still, many pre-built meeting scheduling software vendors can’t deliver the power and flexibility you need to deliver an exceptional scheduling experience that actually makes your users more productive. Not only do you need a powerful, secure, and scalable solution, but you’ll also want a scheduler that can be customized to fit the exact needs of your users.
How APIs Unlock Powerful Meeting Scheduling for Your Users
In the competitive world of SaaS applications, getting your app up and running as quickly as possible is imperative. At the same time, you need to deliver high-quality features that are secure, flexible, and scalable to ensure your users won’t churn from a poor experience. Luckily, APIs (such as the Nylas Calendar API) empower product teams to quickly and efficiently build new features into their applications. Let’s take a look at one advantage of using Nylas APIs instead of other meeting scheduling solutions.
Feature-rich, Front-end Calendar Widget
The Nylas Scheduler is a highly customizable, front-end scheduler that lets you easily embed full-featured meeting scheduling software into your app without needing third-party scheduling solutions. We designed our Scheduler to give developers a better way to integrate powerful meeting scheduling software into their applications. The Nylas Scheduler lets users easily find availability between meeting participants, identify time zones, create custom reminders, route meetings evenly between members of a team, handle booking confirmation and cancellations, and more in a pre-built and fully customizable user interface.
The Schedule Editor component lets organizers create and edit their own scheduling pages and adjust dozens of details, including custom availability and the general look and feel of the interface. Our pre-built customizable Scheduling Page component makes it easy for attendees to book meetings with organizers. At the same time, our Scheduler gives you the flexibility to build a custom user interface around our scheduling features so that you can deliver a fully white-labeled experience.
Organizers can use the schedule editor inside of your application (left) and easily share individual scheduling pages (right) with attendees.
With Nylas, you can connect your application to any calendar provider with one secure, scalable API integration. Save time, money, and boost productivity and efficiency by integrating meeting scheduling software within your application. Learn how Nylas can help: sign up and try our API for free today, or schedule time to speak to a platform specialist now.